August 2020 Issue
Issue 2 – Volume 1
Table of Contents
- What’s the Issue?
- Empowering Activity
- Color of the Month
- Drawing Prompt
- Sustainable Fashion
- Main Article
What’s the Issue?
Why and How to Stay Safe in Quarantine
You may have heard different sources say that the precautions being advised are unnecessary. However, we believe it’s safer to take the precautions, and here’s why.
- Even if it might seem uncomfortable at first, masks not only protect you, but the people around you as well. Masks work as a barrier against saliva particles and other germs from spreading.
- Social distancing is necessary because it helps lessen the risk of inhaling other’s germs. It also helps keep people around you from getting sick.
- It’s important to frequently wash your hands, especially before eating and/or after going somewhere. Washing your hands helps to lessen the number of germs that have built up on your hands throughout the day.
- And finally, if you want to go above and beyond, keep clean, reusable masks with you when you go somewhere to offer to people that might not have a mask with them.
Though the recommended precautions might seem uncomfortable or impractical, it is still extremely important to do what you can to prevent further cases of coronavirus. If we all play our parts together, then we will be able to keep our community happy and healthy.
Realizing that you’re Awesome!
This activity is all about feeling accomplished and happy about yourself! It is easy to get swept up in all your responsibilities, emotions, etc. This can make you feel overwhelmed and overall, unhappy with yourself. That is why it is so important to take a step back, breathe, close your eyes. (If you would like to, you could also do this activity in front of a mirror.) Take a moment to remind yourself of all of the amazing things you have done in the past year, and all the amazing things you are capable of. Just think for 5 minutes.
This activity really surprised me! I was so overwhelmed about what I needed to do, I had almost completely forgotten what I have already done. It really helped me feel calm, confident, and happy!
Color of the Month
The Color of the Month is Emerald Green. I decided to pair it with Yellow.
Send us pictures of your finished craft at email@example.com!
What You’ll need:
- Blank Outlet Cover
- Acrylic Paint
- Holographic sparkles or glitter (optional)
- Mod Podge or sealant
Remove the outlet cover from the wall (I used a screwdriver but a butter knife will work also.) Choose the colors you want to paint on your outlet cover.
Paint your outlet cover however you want! I painted mine with lots of different colors!
Once the paint is dry, paint over the outlet cover in a layer of Mod Podge. This works as a sealant as shown below.
Sprinkle glitter or holographic dust on top of the wet Mod Podge. (I used an old CD and cut it apart to get cool holographic dust!) Let dry for 2 hours.
You are done! All you have to do now is screw it back into place.
Draw Your Favorite Things
This month’s drawing prompt is to draw your favorite things. If you would like to enter, please submit your artwork to firstname.lastname@example.org (I used a free app called Ibis Paint X to make the drawing shown below)
An Outfit Styled With ABLE
You can find beautiful sustainable items at ABLE! ABLE is a sustainable brand that helps women earn secure and well-paying jobs. Their mission is to help end poverty around the world. Their items are all pretty and good quality. If you are looking to splurge on a charming accessory, then be sure to check out their website at https://www.livefashionable.com/
Honesty Over Perfection Shirt — $44
The Importance of Letting Loose
We’ve learned through the experience of creating S&A Magazine that letting loose is very important. At times, when it feels like you are under a lot of pressure, it’s hard to do your best. That’s where the ability to adapt comes in. Here are some tips for feeling at ease while you work.
First of all, in order to let loose, you have to realize that you are putting a lot of pressure on yourself. When you realize this, be sure to take a step back and acknowledge that your best work comes when you are feeling confident and not stressed.
Another reason you might be feeling overwhelmed is because you may believe that your work is not good enough. This belief can come from comparing yourself to others, even if you don’t realize it. Know that you are doing your best work and that’s all that matters.
When we created S&A Magazine, we felt overwhelmed, disappointed, and frustrated with our work. We were really excited about S&A Magazine and had very high expectations. Because of that, we both felt that our content wasn’t good enough for the website. It took us a while, but we eventually realized that we were putting too much pressure on each other and ourselves. We wanted to write this article to talk to our readers about how to let loose.
Peaches and Cream Frozen Yogurt Bark
This is a delicious frozen treat that is super easy to make! The creamy base and the fruity swirls from the peach work so well together in this snack! We hope you try this out and send us a picture to email@example.com!
- 1 cup vanilla greek yogurt
- 1 tbs honey or maple syrup
- 1 peach
- In a bowl, mix together the yogurt and honey.
- Peel the peach and remove the pit. Pulse into a puree in a food processor. (I kept some peach chunks for more texture.)
- Then add about 3/4 of the puree into the yogurt mix. Gently swirl it in to make a marble effect.
- Take a small baking tin or reusable container and line it with cling wrap.
- Pour the mix into the container evenly, this bark should be quite thick so that it does not break.
- Swirl on the rest of the peach puree on the top. I used a toothpick to help me achieve the beautiful marble effect on top.
- Freeze it for 4 hours.
- Then, take the bark out of the container and break into pieces.